Friday, February 6, 2009

Experiences

I love my Y because it's one of the places where I became the most physically fit I have ever been in my life. The encouragement, positive feedback, staff, members, classes, new found friends along with my trainer contributed to my winning first place as a fitness competitor on my 50th birthday 5 years ago. It was one of the best experiences of my life and is among my highest accomplishments.

It was also those same attributes of the Y that assisted me with my son during a time that he was struggling with anger issues. The staff was supportive and nurturing to him when they could have turned their backs on him. They included him in activities such as basketball that allowed him to run off some of his anger. He made friends that he still has today. He matured and grew to the point that they give him the privilege of working at the Y. He now has an opportunity to be a positive example to young men who may be struggling as he once did..

I can't image my life without the Elsie and Eldon Ward Y. One of the ways I have found to give back is by becoming a member of the consulting board. While I volunteer for this commitment I believe that I get so much more from the experience than I could ever give back. I encourage everyone to donate one hour a week or a month to volunteer at the Ward. The children need you and you'll be richly rewarded by the experience.

~Deborah M. Points, Board Member

No comments: